domingo, enero 21, 2007

My Foundation, part deux

Okay, Part One was the logical study that helped me reason and learn. Now here's my personal application. I grew up a Christian. A Seventh-day Adventist Christian, very well indoctrinated in the teachings of the Word. I even spent the whole sixth grade in a Christian school. (Wowzers) Yet in spite of living in a Christian home, attending church every Sabbath, having friends who were Christians, I did not develop a relationship with Jesus Christ - I did not have a foundation that was built with that Sole Main Ingredient that is so essential to my eternal salvation. I had all this head knowledge, memorized Bible verses, knew the melodies from the hymnal and the heroes from the Bible, but somehow I never made that connection between words and heart. Sadly, my story is the norm and not the exception among Christian youth. When the tests and trials came, I failed and I failed badly. Looking at me you couldn't tell that I had fallen into an abysmal pit. But my heart was empty and my future had no hope. The stones, the gold and silver, from my childhood and teenage years had nowhere to stand on. I had no foundation. What good was it to have all that gold and silver, if I had no foundation?

I was 28 years old when I finally gave my heart to Christ. That's when the first stone of my foundation was built. I remember that night. I felt so wretched, so empty and drained. I heard the words I had heard over and over throughout my entire life, how Jesus wants me for Himself, how He can fill that void in my heart with His love. I accepted His invitation and it was instant overflow. I cried and cried. But they were really tears of "joy". That was only 8 years ago. And I still struggle, man do I struggle. I know I'm not alone. There are so many like me, so many who grew up with me, who are in the same boat. We learned, we were indoctrinated, we were taught, we sang and smiled. But open the doors to our hearts and you fall right in, no foundation to hold the house up. Some are no longer living Christian lives, are good citizens, great parents/friends/neighbors, but don't have Jesus in their hearts. Some will acknowledge that they are poor in spirit and will return to God to be made whole again. Those will begin to lay down their foundation, the Foundation who laid down His life for us.

It's not too late. The fire will come and we need our Foundation to keep us afloat. And after you have accepted the Foundation, study and pray, ask for leading, ask for Truth. There is gold and silver to lay on top of your foundation. Don't waste your time with wood, hay and straw. Be spared the loss.

No hay comentarios.: