viernes, enero 26, 2007

It's All Connected

The IT Band. Sounds like a bunch of computer techies making music. But no, it's gristle, those tough fibers that are hard to chew (if you're a carnivore). That's what I've been battling the last 6 weeks. The IT band (iliotibial, for those with anatomical smarts) runs outside of the thigh, begins right at the hip and attaches to the outside bottom of the knee. If not properly exercised and stretched, it can become irritated and inflamed. And that's exactly what I've done. For the last 6 weeks I've been unable to run no more than 3 miles at a time without some pain and discomfort. Extremely frustrating. Especially for me, since running is my release, my happy place. I haven't been in my happy place in 6 weeks. And that means that those around me haven't been in their happy place either.

So I sucked it up and went to my orthopedic doctor. And now I'm in physical therapy. I had my first session today and it was very productive. My doctor prescribed an anti-inflammatory to help relieve that part of my ailment, and my physical therapist is working on a stretching/cross-training/core-building routine for me. I don't like taking drugs; I even avoid taking aspirin or ibuprofen during that time of the month. But this non-running has really gotten to me. So like a good girl, I pop these pills religiously twice per day. And it's working! I'm scheduled to run 8 miles this Sunday as part of my training for another 1/2 marathon this spring, and I feel like I can meet the challenge. I'm not going to focus on beating any records this time. But I'm going to run this one smart, the correct way. I can already feel the difference from taking a good 15 minutes to stretch properly before and after a run. And cross-training is helping develop those muscles that I have neglected from only running.

I've learned a lesson. Even a good thing must be planned and done right. I can't just get up and run whenever I want all the time. If I want to maintain this mind-cleansing, soul-searching, lung-filling therapy called running, I need to take care of my body in such a way that will enhance my running ability and not diminish it over time. As tedious as it may feel, taking those 15 minutes before and after a run, riding a bike every-other-day, or some other different type of exercise, and weight training will enable me to continue running way into my old age. And another thing I learned: the core is essential to any type of exercise. Maintaining and building my core-strength (the abdominals-torso) will help stabilize my hips, and maintain my body in an even flow as I run. So it's not only my legs that need training - we're talking lungs, torso, abdomen, hips, calves. It's all connected.

The same applies to life. Think about it. We can't just jump into a job. We need training, learning processes and systems. We can't just sit down and play Beethoven's Fifth Symphony; we need years of practicing and lessons. I can't just go and marry the first guy that smiles at me. I need to be friends, learn each other's idiosyncrasies, fall in love. I can't just go to heaven. I need to accept Jesus as my Savior, read the Word, develop a relationship with Him, fall in love.

I'm being challenged, to change my learned behavior, to develop a training program for my body so I can keep doing what I love doing most. I think it will benefit me to do the same with my mind too.

1 comentario:

Amber Hill dijo...

Hey Joy! This is my blogger acct!