martes, agosto 29, 2006

I'm Going Back to Cali...

Remember that song? "Hmmm, I don't think so!" I promised some friends I would post some pictures of my trip to California last month. It was a great trip - we flew in to San Diego, took the train to LA, rented a car and drove up the Pacific Coastal Highway all the way to San Francisco. We made a couple of stops along the way, in Santa Barbara, Monterrey (CA, not Mexico!), and San Luis Obispo. We did the typical touristy stuff - San Diego Zoo, Gaslamp Quarter, Rodeo Drive, Walk of Fame, Fisherman's Wharf, Pier 39, Ashbury & Haights, rode the trolleys - I had a large time... And of course the gastronomy of it all - Italian, Persian, Indian, Mexican cuisine. We went to the cutest little muffin shop in LA and I had the yummiest muffin (and the largest/most expensive muffin I've ever had!) And we shopped - we hit Santee Alley in the fashion district in LA, Rodeo Drive, a 6-story Macy's and H&M in San Francisco. All that shopping was a bit overwhelming though - I have never felt so shopped out, but I hit rock bottom in SF. Driving up the coast was by far my favorite activity - the curvy roads, mountains on one side, the ocean on the other... the fog! :) And my favorite city? San Francisco!! I loved it there. Those streets, the restaurants, the constant activity. And public transportation - oooh, that was fun. Especially riding with my germophobe friend Alpa. Somehow the stinkiest, ugliest, and most hygiene-challenged people would find their way right next to Alpa and we would just die of laughter! I think it took her a whole week to unwrinkle her nose!

The cactus - most inspiring of the vegetation I saw. This was right off the road when we got off the bus to go to the San Diego Zoo.

Here we are lounging, with Alpa sandwiched between the two Joys (yes, my other friend's name is also Joy!). If you squint real hard, you can see the Hollywood sign behind us. Hmmm, maybe not - but it's there, I promise!

One of my favorite musicians, Tito Puente. Here is his star (and my dirty foot) on the Hollywood walk of fame.

The Rodeo Drive sign - this was one place where I refused to buy. We kept telling ourselves "It's not that we can't afford to, we CHOOSE not to buy!" Did you know there's a Gap and an Old Navy on Rodeo Drive?
A very fun sign. It reads "NO THONGS except on feet". Needless to say, I heeded. :)
We took a ferry ride to Alcatraz Island in San Francisco and learned all about The Rock. It used to be a military base before it became a prison. We took the evening/night tour and that was cool. It was so cold though! San Francisco was very chilly. We had just left San Diego and LA where the temperature was in the 100's and we roasted. Then we hit San Francisco and we were forced to shop for sweaters and jackets. Brrrrr!! I did get me the cutest brown jacket at H&M. I wore it the rest of my time in San Francisco, except on race morning, when I ran the San Francisco Marathon (1/2 marathon).

The Rock

Inside the jail, Cell Block D
Joy T. looking scared during the audio tour.
The City by the Bay

Alpa and I trekked over to Golden Gate Park and went to the Japanese Gardens. All the bonsai trees and small bridges - very peaceful. A lot of love went into those gardens.
Alpa (without her wrinkled nose)
Me with my cute and warm jacket!!
After the race on Sunday, we treated ourselves to ice cream in Ghirardelli Square. I had the root beer float! Yummy!!

1 comentario:

The Mike dijo...

I think it was Mark Twain who said the coldest winter he ever spent was the summer in San Francisco. I like San Fran allot. I'll have to post some pictures of the huge trees in Golden Gate Park and some others from the museums and gardens there. I've only been there 4 or 5 times but loved it each time and experienced something completely different in some of the same places.