domingo, octubre 01, 2006

Murmurs, Whiners, and Big Grapes

One thing that has always amazed me when I read the story of the Hebrew children in the Old Testament is how they just never got it. Time after time, they witnessed such wondrous, miraculous events and still they complained. I was reading today about the story of the 12 spies that went into Canaan to size up what they may be up against when they entered the Promised Land. I could imagine the excitement in those men. Very James Bondesque. Mission Impossible. Alias. No black, tight fitting, flame retardant clothing with cool gadgets to help them escape, though. They had their tunics and sandals and probably a walking stick or a slingshot. They came back with stories about the walls of the cities, how thick and tall they were. Totally unconquerable to a motley crew of tent dwellers. And the size of those grapes they carried back! Two men had to carry the clusters back to camp, on long sticks between them. I imagine they were the size of tomatoes - the beefy ones. The girls and young women were probably hanging on to their every word. The romance of it all! What girl isn't attracted to the danger and excitement of men spying in the night, almost losing their lives, barely escaping danger? And what guy wouldn't embellish their story a little, caught up in the storytelling moment. For once they have the attention of their whole camp and so they add details - the giants are way taller, the city walls are impenetrable - it's a rogue land and we barely escaped! But then the people start feeling helpless and frantic. How in the world are we going to stake our claim in the Promised Land? It's impossible! And it spreads like wildfire. But wait, two of the spies speak up. Look, haven't we witnessed miracle after miracle? God will protect us - He will make this happen because He has promised! Their supplications fall onto deaf ears. It doesn't matter - the crowd has been worked up into a frenzy and they can't see beyond what's in front of them. God could have obliterated them right then and there. Zap. But no, instead He pronounces His judgment. They will wander in the desert for many years. And everyone who was not a child will not enter the Promised Land. Only Caleb and Joshua, and their families.

Something struck me when I was reading this. Caleb and Joshua also felt the repercussions of the punishment. They also had to wander for many years. But did they complain and whine about their fate? No. The people did. Loudly. They murmured and complained even more. They weren't truly sorry for what they had done - that they had doubted God's protection and Word. You know, had they been truly sorry, God wouldn't have executed the punishment. He would have taken it back. He did that with Nineveh. That city was supposed to have been totally destroyed. But the Nineviahns (I made that name up) sincerely, heart-wrenchingly asked for forgiveness and changed their ways. And God spared them because of it. The Hebrew children were more worried about their punishment than what caused them to receive the punishment in the first place. And so the sentence was carried out. Forty long, dusty years going round and round and round.

Wow. As I look back at my mistakes and sins, have I sincerely and humbly asked for forgiveness? And when I'm sorry, do I accept the results of my actions with a humble heart or do I kick and scream and blame my Friend for what I've done to myself? I'm no better than the Hebrew children, but at least I have their stories to read and apply and learn.

2 comentarios:

The Mike dijo...

It's funny that I read your post. I have had a very similar rumination of late.

As you know, we have had several deaths in the family of late, A father of Pilar's cousin's husband, Pilar's great uncle, Pilar's brother in law.

Of the three, Pilar's brother in law, Giuliano, would seem to have ahd the most impact. He was relatively young at 50 (funny how that is young now). He died of complications from metastisised colon cancer and it was a dreadful thing to witness over the last year.

The dread came not so much from the fact that he was dying, but from the way his wife clung to the belief or aspiration of his survivability. She demanded of God that he survive. She protested above our consolations and suggestions to make preparations for his passing that "God never does anything half way" that "he will be healed" and "God will mkae a miracle".

Until the very last week or so, the children were told that Giuliano would be healed, that there would be a miracle.

What my sister in law did not want to see was the miracle that was right before her all the time. Giuliano survived a long year with a very deadly cancer that swelled his liver, lungs, colon, and other organs beyond what the doctors could believe was possible while continuing to live without pain. Indeed, the doctors were amazed that he could even walk and talk normally. Rocio and her children were granted precious time, for what reason, we don't know.

I wonder what miracles are around us every day that we take for granted. I wonder every time I pray for something if I should not be thanking instead of asking. I wonder if I will ever be able to see clearly enough to know what is God's will when He reveals it to me. Or will I too wander in search of something that is not to be mine.

joy dijo...

Mike, your thoughts remind me of the prophet Elijah when he was on the mountain running from an evil queen who wanted to kill him. God asked him to stand on the mountain, because He was going pass by. I can't say it better than how it was written: "Then a great and powerful wind tore the mountains apart and shattered the rocks before the LORD, but the LORD was not in the wind. After the wind there was an earthquake, but the LORD was not in the earthquake. After the earthquake came a fire, but the LORD was not in the fire. And after the fire came a gentle whisper." (I Kings 19: 11-12) That's where God was, in the gentle whisper. How often we look for that huge miracle, that obvious revelation from God, and we find out after the fact that He was there all along, whispering gently.
Thank you for your thoughts and we pray for Rocio and her sweet daughters, for consolation and peace, and a secure future.