martes, octubre 10, 2006

A gazellion reasons why I run...

Running. As my feet connect with the pavement, my mind soars. It's the only time during the day that I experience true freedom. I treasure this time like no other, even sleep doesn't compare. I love the fact that I always meet a goal at the end of my run. I finished a run! - whether it's only a few miles or the more challenging 10-plus distances, it doesn't matter. I think about so many things when I run. One mile, twelve to go. Why did I eat jalapeños for lunch? Eeew, something's decomposing somewhere around here. Ah, I love the trees in my neighborhood and admire their vertical strength. My running route is full of trees and branches that offer me shade in the summer and beauty in the fall. I'm not your typical runner though. I used to keep track of how fast I could complete a mile. After my little carbon monoxide accident last year, I deeply appreciate the effects running has on my health, and so I take it more in stride (no pun intended!) And I take in the scenery that comes with it. So if I spot the cutest little kitty cat, I stop and pet her. I oooh and aaaah when a bunny rabbit hops across my path. And I giggle when squirrels run in frenzy around me, trying to get away from the sounds of my big, clumsy feet. I even stop and smell the flowers blooming on bushes. I purposely run through the sidewalks of the homes that have the sprinklers turned on. To the little kids who are playing and chalking the sidewalks, I wave and smile. That young man who is mentally retarded and takes his evening strolls around my route, I give him a really big smile because he always greets me with one. I admire the plump men and women who don their athletic attire and with a spring in their step, conquer the Hub City Trail. Way to go! Keep it up! I talk to Jesus when I run too. Not my papi, Jesús, but my Big Daddy Jesus. I tell Him about my day and my struggles. I pray for that girl in the billboard who has cancer. I pray for my family, all of them by name, asking for good health and peace of mind. I pray for friends and their love lives, for comfort when loneliness creeps in, unexpected hugs, kisses, and good food.

Some laugh at my last 10 seconds of a run, when I sprint into my Gazelle Mode. It's become my signature. I picture myself as a gazelle, graceful and fast. Here’s the scenario playing in my head: wheat grass is swaying in the wind, the sun high in the plains. Not a care in the world. No one is chasing her but she leaps and strides with sheer joy. That’s me: arms pumping, legs reaching, heart pounding, cheeks flapping, nostrils flaring. And I run at tremendously high speeds – it feels like 100 mph for sure. And when I come to a complete stop, I thank God. It’s He who has made my run possible. I go down the list of organs that have just contributed to my very successful run – my heart, lungs, brain, spine and all the bones, the muscles and nerves. Though not perfect, they work perfectly together to give me 45 minutes of pleasure and peace.

Running. As my feet connect with the pavement, my heart soars.

4 comentarios:

Anónimo dijo...

Wow... I just lived vicariously through you! It makes my run on the treadmill watching CNN seem boring!! I love to read about your happy time of running!!

Kev dijo...

arjean:
now if Joy could do something with your attitude...

;-)

The Mike dijo...

Sadly I can no longer run. My knees have taken too much punishment from Soccer and Hockey. Your run sounds like great therapy though. Make sure Kevin never starts. He'll have to beat you, but never will. This starts a domino effect that the "W" bros know about best. He'll have to beat you at something else or chase you with the car while you run or get a motorbike for when you hit the trail or a mountain bike.

Uh Oh. I thik I have ruined your run already. Go for it Kev! Mountain bike, HO!

(Glad I could help)

(BTW, my code for posting this is gqikevxd. Separated out, GQ I Kev xd Don't be vexed kev. You'll alwyas never be GQ to me. PURNRGY FTW!)

Kev dijo...

Mike:
You have no idea what you are talking about. You must be mistaking me for you.

I may get a bike though...

I don't think you should talk that way about Tim (FTW). You are mean.